Enlarged kidney means the kidney is abnormally larger than the normal size. For patients who are tested out kidney enlargement, it is more likely to indicate some severe underlying causes. If you happens to have this problem, follow me to find out its symptoms, causes, treatment and diet.
Patients may don’t notice that they have enlarged kidney until symptoms occur. These symptoms include pain during urination, back pain, changes in urination and swelling.
Burning pain during urination can be a sign of urinary tract infection that can cause enlarged kidneys. The pain may occur near the pelvis, over the bladder or near the lower part of the abdomen. A rapid swelling in kidney may cause pain originating in the lower back or radiating out from the abdomen.
As the enlarged kidney can’t process fluids properly, the fluids will retain in our body, occurring the symptom of swelling. It often occurs in the ankles, abdomen, lower back and face. As the symptom is mild, it often ignored by patients.
3.Changes in Urination
Since kidney can’t handle intake and retention of fluids, patients feel the need to urinate more often. Frequent urination during the night often signals the early stages of kidney disease. Blood in the urine is another symptom that directs doctors to check out the patient for enlarged kidneys.
Enlarged kidney refers to kidney is larger than normal size, which can be caused by kidney disease or other underling disease. Polycystic kidney syndrome, a kidney stone and unilateral hydronephrosis are common causes of enlarged kidney.
- Polycystic Kidney Disease: Enlarged kidney is a typical symptom of polycystic kidney syndrome, as there are many cysts grow within kidney.
- Kidney stone: Kidney stone is a hard deposit in kidney, most of which is minerals and salt. If kidney stone blocks the urine, this condition can cause renal edema.
- Hydronephrosis: The consequence of hydronephrosis is kidney enlargement. Hydronephrosis refers to the condition that urine can’t enter into bladder and back up in kidney.
1. Treatment for hydronephrosis
Using a Foley catheter or nephrostomy tubes to bypass the obstruction and draining the bladder, can alleviate the symptom of hydronephrosis.
2.Treatment for PKD
To treat PKD, it should include several aspects: managing patients’ symptoms, shrinking kidney cysts and protecting kidney function. For this reason, we would like to introduce Micro-Chinese Medicine Osmotherapy which conforms to these requirements. To learn more about this therapy, you can send email to .
3.Treatment for kidney stone
There are two ways to treat the kidney stone: lithotripsy to break up the stone or taking medicine to decompose kidney stone.
Many diseases can induce enlarged kidney. Besides the above reason, heart failure, advanced liver disease also can cause kidney enlargement, so patients need to make clear of their underlying disease and receive timely treatment.
Since patients’ illness condition changes from person to person, patients should modify their diet plan based on their own illness condition and the following are some general dietary advices. (If you want to get individual diet suggestions, you can consult the doctor online directly.)
- Follow a low-protein diet to reduce the burden on kidneys
- Tightly control the intake of salt with sodium of 1,000 mg~4,000mg
- Drink correct amount of fluid
- Choose high-quality protein as protein supplement
- Avoid high-fat foods
With Lupus Nephritis, a characteristic red ski...Learn More
Once you find an effective treatment for Nephr...Learn More